What is the first thing you think about when you’re about to make an investment, large or small? If you said, “Price,” you are 100% correct.
Talking about how much things cost (including a kitchen remodel) can be uncomfortable and frustrating, but the reality is, everything comes with a price tag. The bigger question is whether it will be within your budget, and how much you are willing to invest in the remodel depending on your unique situation.
It is our mission to make sure you are armed with all you need to make a smart, informed decision about how much you should spend on your kitchen renovation. Your options are endless and finding a kitchen that best suits your needs isn’t all that hard once you have the right information. So, let’s dive right in!
Cabinets are the largest component of the kitchen, so what are your options?
While this may be obvious to some, cabinets are often the costliest part of a renovation. Aside from the fact that they take up the most real estate in your kitchen, they also require the most labor. We offer a few different options here at Kitchen Magic.
From least to most costly, the following options are available:
Replace just the door and drawer fronts:
This service includes installing all-new doors and drawer fronts on your existing cabinet boxes. It is the quickest and most budget-friendly way to give your kitchen a refreshed look. With this option, your existing cabinet boxes will remain unchanged; doors and drawer fronts typically make up more than 80% of what you see in a kitchen.
Cabinet refacing onlyThe process for cabinet refacing is cost-effective, and the project timeline is fairly brief (usually only a week).
- First, the cabinet doors and drawer fronts are removed.
- The cabinet frames are sanded down (if the surfaces are not already painted) to a fresh wood surface.
- An engineered surface (and in some cases a ¼" luan plywood subsurface) is applied to the exterior cabinet frames.
- New accessories, moldings, doors, and drawer fronts are installed.
Keep in mind, the number of units (doors and drawer fronts), the door style and material chosen, and the size of the kitchen create large variables in the potential cost of refacing.
All new cabinets—Classic or Barwen Cabinet Collections or a hybrid solution
Kitchen Magic manufactures two cabinetry lines, the Barwen and Classic collections, both of which we offer as options for all-new cabinets.
- Our Barwen Cabinetry collection is on the more budget-friendly end of the spectrum and is constructed from ¾” furniture-grade cabinet board. The Barwen line is available in our 4 most popular colors. You may go with this option if your cabinets are not good candidates for refacing, or if you want a complete gut and remodel but do not want to spend what you would on the next-level cabinetry, the Classic Collection.
- Our Classic Cabinetry collection is also hand-assembled and custom-made for each kitchen project. The main differences are that the construction of the Classic Collection cabinetry is ¾" birch North American plywood, and it is available in any of our dozens of cabinet colors and door styles. It is a low-maintenance, clean finish that is safe for your family, as it lacks chemicals (like formaldehyde), which other less expensive plywood is made with.
- A Hybrid Remodeling Solution is a balance of refacing, plus new cabinetry to meet our customers’ needs. This is a great value-building solution for homeowners, and it also gives you the option to add an island, pantry, or additional storage space. This solution blends both refacing and custom cabinetry so you can achieve everything you want for your kitchen while still having an affordable project.
A little gnome fact
“Project” refers to any and all aspects of a kitchen remodel project as a whole. This might include any of the following:
- Storage solutions
- Decorative Accessories
Countertops are the next biggest investment when it comes to renovating your kitchen space. When you are replacing your cabinets versus refacing them, you will end up needing a new countertop, so take this into consideration when you are deciding which route to take for your renovation.
The type of material and brand you choose for your countertops, as well as other factors such as sinks and faucets, the overhang on your kitchen island, and the size of your kitchen (how much countertop you will need) will determine how much is added to your final investment. We offer four types of materials for countertops. From most to least expensive, they are:
- Solid Surface
While quartz and granite are both stunning choices, they may not be the optimal choice financially. Luckily, more affordable countertops can be just as beautiful. The engineering and manufacturing process for laminate countertop products, such as WilsonArt, have become so sophisticated, realistic, and durable that even experts can’t tell they are looking at a laminate product.
The type of material you choose for your backsplash has a considerable influence on your final cost as well. The price of your backsplash can also be influenced by the material of the tile, the size of your kitchen, how high you take the tiles up the wall, and how intricate the pattern is. The price added to your final investment typically ranges from $2,300-$5,000. At Kitchen Magic, we offer the following options:
- Corian (solid surface)
- Mosaic Blends
While we do not offer flooring only as an individual service, we do offer it for customers getting a remodel featuring refacing or new cabinetry. As beautiful as they are, hardwood floors have become a thing of the past. There are tons of options, such as engineered vinyl plank flooring, that are just as, if not more durable, and long-lasting as hardwood. What is even more exciting is that you can purchase these types of floors for or around the same price as hardwood. The price for flooring also depends on the size of the kitchen and the style or design you choose, but typically, this will cost anywhere from $2,700-$4,500 to add on to your project.
Storage & Accessories
Accessories and storage options will also cause your bottom line to fluctuate. While accessories and storage options may not make a huge dent in your wallet, you should still know that they will, like everything else you add to your remodel, bring your final cost up. These “bells and whistles” could include:
- Storage solutions
- Decorative accessories (corbels, molding, etc.)
Accessories and storage options add space optimization and functionality. The cost will vary depending on how many items you add to your remodel, what kind of items you add, and how small or large your kitchen is.
So how much should I spend?
When it comes to any home improvement project, everyone wants to know the same things: how much am I going to spend on my remodel, and will I get exactly what I want? Our advice is to work out a budget for your remodel and a number you feel comfortable spending. Then, you can go about deciding where and how to allocate that money throughout your project and what you might add to the renovation. Your investment will vary depending on what you choose to do during your remodel, involving the numerous factors we’ve discussed throughout this article:
- How many aspects of the space do you want to be changed (moving walls, doors, windows, appliance location, etc.)
- How small or large the kitchen is
- The brands and materials you choose for cabinetry, countertops, backsplashes, flooring, etc.
- The accessories and ‘bells and whistles' you decide to add
- Whether you want/need new appliances
- What type of warranty you'll get
While we know the numbers and information can be intimidating, Kitchen Magic has dedicated our business to giving our customers the highest quality in all aspects of a kitchen remodel. All personnel who enter your home have been background checked and trained in-house so they can safely and properly install our products in your home.
Kitchen Magic also offers a few warranty options, one of which is our Lifetime of Home Ownership Warranty covering your remodeled kitchen for as long as you still own the home, and our "Made in the USA” materials are used to handcraft the products we sell right in Nazareth, PA.
Make an informed decision
Being an informed and educated buyer is your greatest asset, your superpower if you will. And the time you are putting in now is time well spent for what will become the kitchen of your dreams. Our job is to provide you with the best advice, free and without obligation, whether or not we earn your business. So, call Kitchen Magic at (866) 525-0012 for a Free Design Consult with one of our specialists so that our team can carefully measure your space, aid you in selecting your products, and help you find out exactly what your investment will be so you can set off on your path toward a beautiful, magical new kitchen!