Is it time to update your kitchen? In that case, you might be wondering how much your renovation is going to cost. To make it easier for you, we'll discuss some factors that affect the price of your dream kitchen with an expert kitchen contractor. We'll give you some examples of what this entails so that you can determine the average cost of your kitchen project. Let’s dive right in!
What costs the most in a kitchen remodel?
Q: How much should I spend on my kitchen renovation?
A: That's a great question. And, like you've probably guessed, the simplest answer is - it depends. To arrive at the right budget and most value for your kitchen project will require giving some thought to the following questions:
- How long are you planning to live there?
- How well is the kitchen functioning now? Do you need to change the floor plan?
- Is the overall look of your kitchen well (or poorly) how it functions that is bothering you?
- How are you planning to finance the renovation?
- What's your timeline for the renovation?
- What are the other properties in your neighborhood doing?
The bottom line: Everyone has a budget. It is important to decide where to splurge and where to save.
Step #1: Begin by breaking it down
The best way to determine the ideal solution for you is to think about each component separately, then think of them as a whole. The main components of any kitchen are: cabinetry, countertops, flooring, tile and appliances.
Cabinetry plays a crucial role in every good kitchen design as well as its structural foundation, making it one of the most important investments.
There are different options when it comes to cabinetry and remodeling solutions that will have an impact on the cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Do you need additional storage or modifications to make your kitchen more functional?
- Are your existing cabinets sturdy and is this the layout you plan to keep?
- Do you prioritize a full plywood cabinet, or are you okay with pressed composite wood?
- If pressed wood is okay, how important is understanding its construction and that it has a good warranty?
- Would you consider RTA cabinets and doing a bit of work yourself?
Countertops can make a world of difference in your investment too.
- Do you need easy to clean and heat resistant counters, such as high-quality Quartz?
- Are you a bit more careful and love the look today's new engineered laminates can give you? Very much like natural stone and wood even down to the texture.
- What style/color do you want? Natural stone, like granite, will have more variation, is often less expensive than quartz, but also requires sealing and maintenance you will not need to worry about with quartz surfaces.
Flooring is often in good shape and can be reused. But first you need to answer a few more questions:
- Are you changing the footprint of the kitchen?
- If so, does the flooring go under the current cabinetry?
If not, it is likely better to just replace what you have or install a floating floor above it. Many homeowners are making use of the LVP flooring because it is easy to install, easy to clean and generally more cost effective.
Tile or laminate backsplash can be a great place to save.
Everything can't be a focal point and many customers use tile as a way to bring the design elements together. Subway tile is classic and versatile and fairly budget friendly. If you want something a little unique, simply use a different size, grout color or pattern of subway tile. None of those changes will add much to the bottom line but they will all add to the finished look of the kitchen.
Step #2 : Work in phases
The cost of appliances varies widely but one thing you can do to try to contain the budget is to keep the placement of the appliance the same. Moving the sink or gas range can be expensive. Adding a false panel can serve as an alternative to moving appliances, However, other than refrigerators, appliances are typically uniform in size. So, you can always wait to upgrade the appliances, as a phase two of your project.
Are you willing to take on any aspects of your renovation on your own?
Are you confident in your ability of laying flooring or installing tile? For some, these are fun projects and for others it just adds stress. Regardless of how big or small your kitchen renovation is, it's important to know how you really feel about it. If you're in the latter category, don't try to save here; you will be thankful you have a professional shouldering the responsibility of marking sure it's done correctly.
Where can I book a reliable kitchen contractor in Plymouth County & beyond?
Not all aspects of the kitchen renovation need to be a splurge. If you are able to prioritize your needs before you start making design decisions, it's often easier to decide where it's best to save (and splurge). Also, taking high quality yet more budget friendly options into consideration, will easily help keep your project costs manageable.
Kitchen Magic is a recognized family-owned company specializing in all aspects of kitchen design. No matter if you live in Kingston or elsewhere in the area, our team is here to help you with all your kitchen renovation ideas - from personalized kitchen cabinet doors to the perfect color scheme. Just give us a call at 866-525-7999, or click here to schedule your free design consultation with us today!